Friday, October 5, 2007

Catching Up

I feel like I am constantly playing catch up with the posts, so I thought I would give you the high-level overview of the past couple weeks. We have made several trips to doctor offices and things seem to be going well. The twins visited their pediatrician to receive their two month shots for MMR and they did so good!! Tom let out a little scream, but no real tears - he is such a strong guy; while Elizabeth puckered up and definitely shed a few tears. I have never seen her make tears so quickly and honestly I had to take a few pictures of her crying, because she just looked so cute! The Powells jumped on the scale and the official weigh-in is: Elizabeth 9.11 and Tom 7.11. Yes, there is a bit of a weight difference, but there is no reason for concern. Even though they are twins, Elizabeth and Tom are two different babies and will have differences - weight being one of them.

Daddy is getting Tom undressed for his shots.
Tom comforts his son as the shots are administered.

Elizabeth is not happy.

In addition to the pediatrician, we visited the neurologist and Tom had an Electroencephalogram (EEG). An EEG is a test that measures and records the electrical activity of the brain. Special sensors are attached to your head and hooked by wires to a computer. The computer records the brain's electrical activity on the screen as wavy lines. Tom was a perfect baby throughout the entire test, which took nearly 45 minutes (after 45 minutes in the waiting room). As you can see from the pictures the nurse attached 20 sensors to his head with some sticky goo and cotton balls, then wrapped him up, so he would not pull on the wires. Initially, everything looks good, but the doctor will review the results and follow up in a couple weeks. Of course this was a big day for all of the Powells, it is not everyday your child dresses up as a Q-tip while mom and sister stand watch. Yes, that is right - the three of us went to the doctor and everyone was impressed with how well behaved the twins were!
Tom smiles as the nurses starts the test.
This is a piece of cake! This new cap keeps me warm!
Last week I celebrated my birthday for the first time as a mom - wow, the times have changed! Last birthday, Tom planned a surprise party for me with a margarita machine....let's just say this year was a little more low key. Looking back on the past year I have realized just how precious time is, because things change so quickly. I absolutely love being a mom and now I understand what my mom meant when she said, once you have children, you will be amazed how you can love someone so much. It is so true!
I spend most of my days at the house taking care of the twins with outings to the doctor and lunch with friends. Since the twins are getting bigger, it is nice getting us all out of the house, but there is a great deal of preparation and planning that goes into each outing. As my maternity leave is coming to an end, I must prepare myself to go back to work. This includes finding the perfect childcare for Tom and Elizabeth and mentally getting ready to face corporate America while my children are with someone else. I ask that you send special prayers for the Harper family. Their second child, Bennett, was born this summer and is scheduled to have surgery this afternoon www.caringbridge.org/visit/bennettharper. Please continue to pray for the health of Elizabeth and Tom in addition to a great report from the tests performed on Tom this week. As I prepare to return to work, please pray that we find the perfect outlet for our children. As always thank you for visiting our site and joining our army of angels, praying for us all.
Even though she might be bigger, Tom is definitely taking charge.

Their 8 week picture.

2 comments:

Jo Ann said...

Tom is so cute with all the cotton balls covering his head. For some reason I can see a resemblance to Elizabeth in that photo. Not sure if it's the way he's looking at the camera or the cotton balls. Even Elizabeth's unhappy face is cute. Love to all, Grandmother Powell

Maggie Pelton said...

Great pictures of Tom and Elizabeth!! I'm so glad the Dr. apt went well and y'all are doing good. Give them a hug for me!!