Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Sleeping Through the Night

Swaddled and sound asleep.
Yes, that is right - the twins are sleeping through the night!!! Tom and I feel like different people, now that we are actually catching a few zzzzz! At almost ten weeks Elizabeth and Tom have proven they can sleep like champs. I wish I could tell you that I am the greatest mom in the world and I did it all by myself, but I am not ashamed to admit - I did have a little help. My "Angel," Laura Hunter, changed our world. Laura is truly a gift from God; she has a super busy professional and personal life, yet somehow she teaches parents how to care for their new baby, which includes getting the little one to sleep through the night. She is located here in Atlanta, but to the new mom's out there (Nicole, I am talking about you) she is available for phone consults. I promise you will not be disappointed with her.
Honestly, the first nine weeks were not terrible, but Tom and I knew that the twins needed to start sleeping in order for us both to return to work and to carry on an adult conversation. I shot Laura an email on a Tuesday and next thing I know, I have an appointment scheduled at 8 AM for the following morning. That afternoon, I ran out to buy some breakfast items and bought a few baby things, that she suggested. I had this great plan that I would cook breakfast for her and maybe squeeze in a shower for me! Needless to say this was not the case. Little Tom decided he really did not want to sleep on Tuesday night, so we stayed up until 6 am and finally fell asleep on the couch sometime shortly after. We both awoke to Laura ringing the doorbell; you guessed it - no shower for me and definitely no breakfast for anyone.
Although, the Powells got off to a rough start, we finished strong and the babies were napping soundly by the time she left just a few short hours later. I know you are wondering, what did she do? Believe me, I was asking myself the same thing. It was not that Tom and I were doing anything wrong, Laura just had a better way to do a few things. It sounds so minor, but we altered their feeding scheduled, only let them sleep for two hours at a time during the day, swaddled with a much larger blanket, cranked up the sound machine and a few others tricks. It was definitely worth every penny. The entire Powell family is much happier. You can learn more about her at http://www.momsoncall.com/.
I hope with all this bragging, I am not jinxing myself!

Great-Uncle Phillip feeding Elizabeth.

Great-Grandmother talks to Elizabeth while Esther is burping her niece.

Grandmother Powell looks at Robert, while he holds Tom.

3 comments:

The Reeds said...

YAY for sleeping babies!! I know you and Tom are happy to be sleeping too:) Keep the posts coming!

Maggie Pelton said...

That is the neatest thing I've ever heard of. I didn't even know that business existed. Who knew? How did you find her? Congratulations! Your life is becoming your own again...well, sort of!

Anonymous said...

That is exciting newss!! I am so glad to hear that they are sleeping through the night. That is such an accomplishment. I hope that you can now catch up on some of your sleep.